Getting charged with a DUI is no picnic, and it can be a surprisingly weighty offense even for first time offenders. However, having a talented attorney like Mark. W. Catanzaro by your side can make a huge difference in your case. In this blog, we discuss DUI consequences and what you can do about them.
The legal consequences of a DUI vary greatly. It often depends a great deal on the nature of the offense and if the person demonstrates a pattern of behavior. Regardless, the consequences of getting a DUI can include…
- Significant fines that will increase after the first offense.
- Up to 180 hours of community service for second offenses.
- License suspension ranging from three months to ten years.
- Mandatory counseling or treatment through the Intoxicated Driver’s Resource Center.
- Installing an ignition interlock device in order to start your car.
- Employment issues: a driver’s license suspension and poor credit can negatively affect your job and future jobs.
- Potential jail time: even first offenders face exposure of up to thirty days in jail.
- Increased car insurance rates, and a possible surcharge by your insurance company.
- Credit issues: many credit bureaus include DUI convictions on credit reports.
- Military consequences: military members are subject to potential demotion or discharge from the military, as well as base restriction, privilege restriction, and alcohol education courses.
What You Can Do
With so many varying consequences and variables to consider, defending a DUI case can be more challenging than a lot of people initially expect. Often, people who defend themselves in these cases receive stricter penalties than those with quality legal representation.
If you’ve been charged with a DUI, and especially if this is not your first time offense, then you cannot afford to have anything less than exceptional legal representation. You need an attorney who can defend your case and help you protect your job, freedoms, rights, and credit.
Contact Mark Catanzaro Today!
So if you’re looking for an excellent lawyer in New Jersey to defend you and your DUI charge, look no further than Mark Catanzaro. With over 30 years of legal experience, he knows how to come alongside you and protect you from harsh DUI consequences. Contact him today!