No matter what state you live in, hit and run offenses are serious matters. But in New Jersey, such offenses can have severe consequences – for both parties. If you’ve been charged with a hit and run offense, you have to approach the case very carefully. A conviction could impact you for the rest of your personal and professional life. In these situations, it is best to immediately contact a Trenton Hit and Run Attorney to evaluate your case.
What Are the Consequences?
The resulting consequences from a hit and run are significant. If a person was hit, there is obviously the possibility of serious injury of that person. But aside from the physical, mental, and emotional impact, there are legal ramifications.
If you speak with a Trenton hit and run attorney, he or she will explain how New Jersey imposes penalties such as:
- Fines between $2,500 and $5,000
- Up to 180 days in jail
- Suspension of your driver’s license for up to one year (for a first offense)
For subsequent offenses, you could lose your license permanently.
So how can a Trenton hit and run attorney help in such a case? A legal professional evaluates the facts and circumstances and formulates a defense strategy that seeks to either clear you of all responsibility or lessen the penalties.
Defense tactics that an experienced Trenton hit and run attorney might use include:
- Presenting evidence to show that you were not actually driving the vehicle at the time of the accident
- Proving that you have been falsely accused of a hit and run offense
- Showing evidence that you were unaware that any damage had occurred
- An exigent circumstance required you to leave the scene immediately (this is known as an affirmative defense, because you are acknowledging that you have left the scene of an accident, but showing that you were legally justified in doing so)
Contact a Trenton Hit and Run Attorney For Legal Assistance
The penalties for committing a hit and run are very serious. But every case is unique and should be reviewed. If you’ve been charged with this offense, it is important that you seek legal help early on. The sooner a Trenton hit and run attorney is representing you, the better chances you have at lessening the penalties or having the charges dismissed altogether.